Council is encouraging pet owners to register their cats and dogs by 10 April 2025, as part of responsible pet ownership. Registration is required for all cats and dogs over three months of age under the Domestic Animals Act 1994. If you have not received your renewal notice, please contact us on 55730444. To register a new animal, follow the link below.
Published on 03 April 2025
Melville Oval will no longer host the Hamilton Kangaroos this weekend with the first-round match for both football and netball moving to Koroit due to external water infrastructure issues.
Southern Grampians Shire Council Acting Mayor Afton Barber acknowledged that it was always going to be tight to get in before the originally scheduled ANZAC Day match.
“Since the construction phase of this project commenced, we knew it would come down to the wire to allow for a first weekend in April home game,” said Acting Mayor Barber.
“Council was approached by the Hamilton Kangaroos last week to see whether they could host their first football match at Melville to which our contractors Ultrabuild and Council staff have been working diligently day and night to achieve.
“Unfortunately, due to the external water infrastructure issues, this is now not possible. We’re obviously disappointed that we won’t be hosting the first round of the season at Melville Oval as earlier anticipated, but we are incredibly proud of the facilities that are so close to being open for our community,” said Acting Mayor Barber. “We can confirm that the netball court acrylic is on its way and is set to commence as early as next week which will position the project well for the ANZAC Day clash.” Hamilton Kangaroos Football and Netball Club President David Hintum said it was a disappointing outcome but the club continues to look forward to their first game of the season against Warrnambool.
“We are disappointed that we won’t be at Melville Oval for our first home game but understand Council and Ultrabuild have been pushing hard and doing everything they can to get us into our new home.
“While this is certainly a set-back, we acknowledge the efforts of all those involved in doing their best in the circumstances.
“The first round for the Hamilton Kangaroos will now he held in Koroit with both the football and netball being hosted at Victoria Park. I would encourage all our supporters to head along to the games on Saturday for what we’re sure will be entertaining for spectators and our local supporters.
“We will continue to work with the Southern Grampians Shire Council and Ultrabuild to make ourselves at home in Melville Oval as soon as is possible. In the meantime, we look forward to seeing our Kangaroos supporters in Koroit on Saturday,” concluded Mr Hintum.
Acting Mayor Barber said transparency in the delivery of this project has been high priority for Council with the remaining works progressing well.
“We have been transparent in acknowledging the ability to host the first round at Melville Oval has depended largely on the issue of relevant certificates and permits being obtained. Through the various test processes our contractors discovered an external water infrastructure issue which will need to be rectified prior to hosting the first match.
“Subsequently, the games are to be moved to Koroit while this issue, which has been outside of our control, is addressed.
“For our Hamilton supporters, we encourage you to bring the enthusiastic Hamilton spirit to Koroit this weekend to cheer on the Kangaroos for what will be a great clash against Warrnambool.
“We can’t wait to welcome everyone to Melville Oval to what will be a wonderful celebration of community,” concluded Acting Mayor Barber.
The remaining works at Melville Oval are almost complete with the installation of the acrylic surface for the netball courts expected to commence next week.
-Ends-